Palak Paneer is a delicious and healthy dish that is popular in Northern India. The dish is made with spinach, known as palak in Hindi, and paneer, which is a type of Indian cottage cheese. It is a vegetarian dish, but it can be made vegan by substituting the paneer with tofu or soy chunks.
- 1 lb spinach
- 1 lb paneer, cubed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Wash the spinach and blanch it in boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the water and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water. Once cooled, squeeze out the excess water and finely chop the spinach.
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle, add the diced onion, minced ginger, and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach to the pan and stir well. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the spinach is completely wilted.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Once cooled, blend the mixture in a blender to make a smooth puree.
- Return the puree to the pan and bring to a simmer. Add cubed paneer and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- If desired, add the heavy cream and stir well. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve hot with rice or Indian breads like naan or roti.
Palak Paneer is a flavorful and healthy dish that is perfect for a comforting meal. The spinach provides vitamins and minerals, while the paneer adds protein. You can make it as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting the amount of red chili powder. The addition of heavy cream is optional, it gives a richer taste and creamy texture to the dish, but you can also use yogurt or coconut milk for the same. Enjoy!